Amanda got here on Wednesday, and for the next couple of days we enjoyed a sort of quasi-vacation: We ate out at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant, and a fun latino chicken restaurant. Amanda spent the days wandering the halls of the Smithsonian, and I came home early from work (8pm) and didn’t check my Blackberry until the next morning. It was kind of fun.
Except that the apartment was still a mess — which bothered me on both the aesthetic/organizational level, as well as from a hospitality perspective: I had a houseguest and was asking her to put up with a half-moved-in apartment. Amanda said she didn’t mind, and had known what she was getting into when she came — but still, it bothered me.
So one night after work (Thursday, I think) I asked Amanda what she’d think of an aggressive, errand-running weekend. She chuckled and said, Okay!
Here’s what we did today:
- 3.5-mile run
- Potomac Paint Store – for paint and supplies
- Heidelberg Pastry Shop – for grilled brauenwurst, sauerkraut and German potato salad
- Home – to pick up a forgotten item
- Goodwill – to empty my trunk
- Ikea – to get a million things (some of which, unfortunately, turned out not to fit into the intended cupboard)
- J.Crew – to exchange a shirt
- Lush – to buy soap
- Levenger – to shop for a father’s day present for Amanda’s dad (don’t worry, Will, no spoiler’s here)
- Bose – to ogle a sound system that I’m trying to justify buying
- Pottery Barn – to compare the velvet drapes to the velvet drapes I got at Ikea
- Telephone consultation with Lady – to get good painting tips
- Target – to pick up whatever we didn’t get at Ikea
- McDonald’s – to stave off imminent death from starvation and/or dehydration
- Home Depot – to get a drill
- Harris Teeter – to top off the grocery needs before the Sabbath (turn out Amanda has a good influence on me)
That brought us to 5:30pm. We’d successfully crossed everything off the “errands” list. So we went home and started the next phase:
- Watched an episode of Parks and Recreation – to boost morale
- Dinner at Matsutake
- Painted the living room
- Watched another episode of Parks and Recreation – because we deserved a rest
And now it’s time for bed!